Welcome to the Puppet Lab!

This is the online companion to Andrew Moore's Puppet Lab. Here you will find a distillation of online resources pertaining to puppetry.

Any questions? Any suggestions? Drop me a line!

-- Andrew

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Types of Puppetry: Bunraku

Here's a brief clip:

The illusion of life is stunning in Bunraku. In this brief clip from Alien Resurrection, the aliens were actually bunraku puppets shot against a green screen, and composited in:

Here's an incredible video of a bunraku master showing how the traditional bunraku puppets operate:

I love this quote from the video:
For example, when the puppet is experiencing joy -- "How delightful" -- I am transferring my feelings of joy to her. If the character feels sad I feel sad, too.
- Kiritake Kanjuro
This is a very important point to keep in mind for performance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andrew, that's awesome. It's too bad the Alien video got tossed. In writing about Juana on my own blog I talked about using the puppet as an extension of my performance, so it feels like I'm on the right track.